*Source- KCTL BAW #-RM Oilcake exports in equivalent of seeds
- In 2016-17 the production of domestic Rape-mustard seed is estimated to have risen by 20% Y/Y. The acreage under Rape-mustard crop during 2016-17 is at 70.56 lakh ha up by 9.3% Y/Y.
- The domestic consumption of India is also likely to rise by 13% Y/Y to 6.34 million MTs as lower mustard oil and oil cake prices may support domestic demand and exports.
- The exports here depict the Rape-mustard oil cake exports which is estimated to rise by 65% on lower prices in 2016-17 oil year (Nov-Oct).
- The ending stock is likely to rise by almost 41%, on higher production amid moderate increase in domestic consumption in the country.
Global Balance Sheet
*Source- KCTL BAW
- For the year 2017-18, global rape-mustard seeds production is projected to increase by 5% Y/Y on the back of production increase in Canada, EU and Ukraine, which is growing by 13.5%, 3.3% and 68% Y/Y, respectively.
- Globally rape-mustard imports are projected to increase by 1% with European Union and China being the leading nations.
- The global exports are marginally declining by 0.5% Y/Y due to decrease in Australia’s exports, which are falling by 19% Y/Y to 2.6 million MTs.
- However, Canada being the largest exporter of rapeseed, is likely to increase the shipment by 2% Y/Y to 11.2 million MTs.
- The increase in domestic consumption of China and India by 2% and 13% Y/Y respectively is going to push the global domestic consumption by 2%
Crush Margin :
- The crush margins since April’17 have remained in the negative territory
- The crush margins did improve during the month of May’17, on pickup in demand from pickle makers and stockiest
- However, with falling prices of mustard seed derivatives like mustard oil cake and Kachi Ghani, crush margins again moved into the red zone
- Mustard Oil cake prices touched 2-years lows of Rs 1580-1585/quintal during June’17.
- Meanwhile, Kachi Ghani prices have also made fresh 2 year lows during last week of June’17 at Rs 697-698/10 Kgs
Oil Cake Exports (in MTs)
- Rape-mustard oil cake exports in 2016-17 oil year (Nov-Oct) till June’17 is around 189,441 MTs, up by 72.8% on Y/Y for the same duration.
- Lower mustard oil cake prices due to rise in its output amid overall increase in RM seed production favoured higher export sales. The FAS rates of mustard oil cake in 2016-17 has remained lower that of the previous oil year.
- Since, commencement of fresh arrivals of RM Seed in Jan’17 , mustard oil cake have risen month on month till present
Canola Imports (in MTs)
- Canola Oil imports during 2015-16 oil year in India is around 377,469 MTs up by almost 6% on Y/Y
- Below normal monsoon rainfall in two consecutive years affected rape-mustard seed production in the country, which had increased its dependency on imports in 2015-16
- However, with bumper production witnessed in 2016-17 season, the increase in imports has been slow with March’17 recording no canola oil imports.
- In 2016-17 Oil year, till Jun’17 around canola oil imports were around 194,654 MTs which is higher by 2.3% Y/Y for the same duration
- As per the seasonality, rape-mustard futures during the July- Sep’17 period are likely to trade on a upward trajectory.
- This period coincides with commencement of festival demand from northern and eastern India. The consumption of mustard oil is more in eastern India followed by northern India.
- During the monsoon season end, demand for edible oil rises including mustard oil in the country. It is also the lean arrivals period which provide further support to the prices.
NCDEX’s Rape-mustard futures is projected to trade on a positive note in the medium term based on following factors :-
- With increasing prices of Kachi Ghani and rise in oil cake exports, crushing demand from the oil millers may improve
- During this period i.e., July-Sep, end user demand for mustard oil rises on back of monsoon season and commencement of festival around the country
- The arrivals in the physical market around the major trading centres are gradually going to decline and this may tighten supplies providing support to the prices
- Mustard Oil cake spot prices at present are hovering around their 2-year lows is likely to further support the oil cake exports which is already up by 72.8% in 2016-17 Y/Y till June’17.
- Moreover, any increase in import duty on veg oil may further support demand for domestically crushed edible oil including Kachi Ghani.
Technical Outlook- Bullish
• RM Seed NCDEX August future trade at 3677 level and it took support near to trend line on weekly chart during June month. Fibonacci extension shows AB=CD at 3654 level on chart.
• The momentum oscillator stochastic trade at 37.92 level and MACD trade below zero line on weekly chart.
• Immediate support seen at Rs.3600 and major support at Rs.3300. Resistance is now observed at Rs.3980/4250.
Note: Recommendation is given in August contract. While initiating trade in other contracts, levels to be adjusted as per premium/discount to the August contract
KARVY COMTRADE LIMITED
REGISTERED OFFICE: Karvy House, 46, Avenue 4, Street No.1, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, Telangana-500034
CORPORATE OFFICE: Karvy Millennium, 9th Floor, Plot No.31, Financial District, Nanakramguda, Gachibowli, Hyderabad,
Telangana – 500032
Contact Us: Toll Free No: 1800-425-1900
SEBI REGISTRATION NO: INZ00007335 | MCX MEMBERSHIP ID: 10775 | NCDEX MEMBERSHIP ID: 00236
NMCE MEMBERSHIP ID: CL0268 |
“INVESTMENT IN SECURITIES MARKET ARE SUBJECT TO MARKET RISKS, READ ALL RELATED DOCUMENTS CAREFULLY BEFORE INVESTING”
To unsubscribe please mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The report contains the opinions of the author that are not to be construed as investment advice. The author, directors and other employees of Karvy, and its affiliates, cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of the information presented herein or for the results of the positions taken based on the opinions expressed above. The above-mentioned opinions are based on the information which is believed to be accurate and no assurance can be given for the accuracy of this information. There is risk of loss in trading in derivatives. The author, directors and other employees of Karvy and its affiliates cannot be held responsible for any losses in trading.
Commodity derivatives trading involve substantial risk. The valuation of the underlying may fluctuate, and as a result, clients may lose their entire original investment. In no event should the content of this BAW report be construed as an express or an implied promise, guarantee or implication by, or from, Karvy Comtrade that you will profit or that losses can, or will be, limited in any manner whatsoever. Past results are no indication of future performance. The information provided in this report is intended solely for informative purposes and is obtained from sources believed to be reliable. Information is in no way guaranteed. No guarantee of any kind is implied or possible where projections of future conditions are attempted.
We do not offer any sort of portfolio advisory, portfolio management, or investment advisory services. The reports are only for information purposes and not to be construed as investment advice. For a detailed disclaimer please go to following URLs: